100 signatures reached
To: The Chilean State and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights - IACHR
¡FREEDOM NOW for the Machi Francisca Linconao!
Our demands to the State of Chile:
• Immediate freedom for the Machi Francisca Linconao and the definitive withdrawal of all accusations against her.
• Implementation of urgent measures that guarantee the life and cultural and physical integrity of Machi Francisca so she may continue her work in the defense of Human Rights in dignified and secure conditions.
• Respect for Article 10. of Convention 169 of the International Labor Organization- ILO- ratified by Chile in 2008, according to which, in the case of criminal sanctions against members of indigenous peoples, “their economic, social, and cultural characteristics should be taken into account” and “sanctions distinct from incarceration” be given priority.
• Compensation for the Machi Francisca and her family members to repair damages caused during the criminalization process.
• Guarantees for the respect of ancestral territories and the collective rights of the Mapuche people; the ending of persecution and suspension of business projects and activities that affect them environmentally and culturally.
• Demand for accountability and application of sanctions against companies and their representatives which consistently threaten the Human Rights and Collective Rights of indigenous peoples, according to numerous cases documented and denounced by organizations from the Region.
We also request the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights- IACHR:
• To grant Protective Measures to the Machi Francisca!
• Make an urgent appeal to the Chilean State to undertake the necessary actions to protect the life of the Machi and women defenders of ancestral territories; to terminate criminalization processes against her; and to institute preventative measures to avoid future violations.
Why is this important?
The Machi- spiritual authority- Francisca Linconao is a defender of the Collective Rights and ancestral territory of Mapuche people being confronted by industrial lumbering in the Araucanía in Chile. Currently, her life is at extreme risk due to the accelerated deterioration of her physical and emotional health and to the lack of contact with nature and her medicinal plants, while she complies with unjust preventative detention in Tumaco.
The Machi was violently detained in March, 2016 and associated with the Luchsinger-Mackay case in January, 2013. Despite having been absolved in this same case at that time, today she is confronting terrorism charges and life imprisonment is being requested.
The accusation against her, the only proof being a testimony obtained under threats and torture, is by any standard, illegal and in violation of the American Convention on Human Rights and of ILO Convention 169. The accusation is supported by the 18314 Anti-Terrorist Law which has been broadly questioned for incompliance with minimum standards and due process and for violation of the right to social protest.
The Machi Francisca Linconao has been in detention for more than seven months, and on three occasions, returned to her home under house arrest, which has been revoked unjustifiably, obliging her to return to prison. Currently, she is suffering from chronic antral erosive gastritis, chronic high blood pressure, lumbago from remaining in one position, depressive-anxiety syndrome, and radical weight loss of nearly 45 kilos which worsens quickly when detained.
We are warning about the persistence of aggressive action, as well as the systematic use of criminalization by State and Company actors in order to restrain indigenous women’s struggles for the defense of their peoples’ rights and collective territories, when confronted by the imposition of “development” projects. These incidents, far being an exception, constitute a tendency that has been increasing in the region.
Enough of violence and injustice against Mapuche women!
Enough of racist repression and persecution of rights defenders and traditional Mapuche authorities by the Chilean State!
How it will be delivered
Once we have 2.000 signatures, this petition with the attached signatures will be given to the IACHR and the results made available to the “Machi Francisca Linconao Huircapán Support Network” to back up their demands and to put pressure on the Chilean State.